Home Teeth Whitening
In order to maximize results and minimize side effects please follow the advice written below.
Teeth Whitening Procedure Instructions:
Brush and floss thoroughly before placing the trays in. Remember to always brush gently because hard tooth brushing will wear the enamel down. Which exposes the dentine and causes the yellow colour of the dentine to show through and can cause more sensitivity in the teeth.
After brushing your teeth try not to rinse your mouth. Try to leave some toothpaste in the mouth. The toothpaste will strengthen the dentine and enamel and will help to reduce the teeth sensitivity.
Attach the tip to the syringe containing the teeth whitening gel and extrude a little of the contents of the syringe onto the outside edge of the tray (inside the tray). There is a mark on the plaster model to show you were the gel should sit please refer to that if you are unsure. Repeat the procedure for all the teeth marked on the model. You should preferably not place the gel on the last 2 or 3 molar teeth as they are so far back in the mouth it will not show.
Seat the tray over the teeth and press down firmly pushing backwards for a excellent seal. While doing the treatment at home a small amount of excess gel escaping from the margin of the trays shows that you have the right amount of gel in the tray. If there is too much excess, you are putting too much in. if this happens remove the excess gel with a cotton bud or finger. DO NOT TRY TO RINSE THE EXCESS GEL OUT WITH WATER.
- The tray should be worn between 7-21 nights this will depend on the instruction given to you by the dentist.
- In the morning, remove the tray and brush your teeth thoroughly and then rinse your mouth with cold water. Rinse out the trays under running water and clean inside them with toothbrush and toothpaste. Store the trays in the container provided. Make sure you don’t squash or distort your trays, or the treatment will not work.
Hints and Tips:
- You should only use one syringe per day for both upper and lower teeth (half a syringe per arch). This means that you need to use the gel sparingly.
- To get the best results you should have a dry mouth before placing the bleaching trays in your mouth at night. To do this you should suck the saliva to back of your mouth with the lips closed and then swallow 2-3 times.
- Do not eat or drink while wearing the bleaching trays.
- The whitening trays should not be exposed to the heat or sunlight.
- Keep the unused syringes in your fridge.
Maintenance – To maintain the shade achieved with the home whitening
Year 1 – One home application (one syringe) every 2 months. Year 2 – One home application (one syringe) every 4 months. Year 2 – One home application (one syringe) every 6 months. You can also purchase more syringes from us if you need to please call for a price
If you have any questions or are unsure on anything please contact the practice and we will be happy to answer any queries you may have.